Main content of the website

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. A subpoena requires your appearance in court. The Judge may find you in contempt or issue a warrant for your arrest if you fail to appear.

The amounts indicated on the tickets are the amounts due if paid through the Violations Bureau.  The Judge abides by the minimums and maximums as outlined in the statute.

Most moving violations have points assessed by the Motor Vehicle Commission (formerly DMV).  You may inquire with them at (609) 292-6500 or log onto New Jersey Courts Online. The court does not assess points.

In order to be eligible you must be charged with a "Consequence of Magnitude" and your income must fall within the guidelines established. If you want to be represented by the Public Defender you must make application to the court.  The Judge will review your application during your arraignment.  If approved, there may be a fee assessed not to exceed $200.00.

The Municipal Court accepts for filing all complaints for offenses that occurred in the Township of Ocean or Borough of West Long Branch. Complaints are accepted in person on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays between 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

You should have the following information with you:

  • Name and address of the accused.
  • Time and date of the offense.
  • Statute number which relates to the offense.
  • License plate number and description of the motor vehicle if the complaint is a traffic summons.
  • A brief description of the incident.

Click here for the Private Citizen Complaint form.

Bail is a guarantee that the defendant will appear at each court session as scheduled. If the defendant misses any session, the bail may be forfeited. Bail is returned when the case is completed. You may either pick it up or it will be mailed directly to you.

If you post bail for someone else and you wish to apply the money to their fines and costs, you must be present to sign the bail over to the court or if you are not present the court needs verification from you in writing.

No. The court is not permitted to recommend an attorney. You may, however, contact the Monmouth County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service at 732-431-5544.

Plea agreements are negotiated with the prosecutor, an attorney who represents the State.  You will be given the opportunity to speak with the prosecutor to try to settle your case. All plea agreements must be approved by the judge.

Yes. An interpreter is available during court sessions. If you need translation, please contact the court at 732-531-5005 prior to your court date.

Only the violations listed on the Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule are payable without a court appearance as long as the officer did not check off the "Court Appearance Required" box at the bottom of your ticket.

You may post bail at any municipal court or at any police department in New Jersey.  New court dates will not be given until bail is posted.

Send a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a receipt will be mailed to you.

Yes. If you will need additional assistance, please contact the court prior to your appearance.

Tickets must be paid by the court date indicated on the bottom of the summons.

You must contact the court to request an adjournment. If you need the date changed due to previously scheduled vacation or work/school conflict, documentation must be provided.

Adjournments are not granted on the date you are to appear. In the case of an emergency, documentation and/or a doctor's note may be required.

You must call the court to find out the amount due.  After you pay the ticket you will have to take your receipt to the Motor Vehicle Commission.  They will assess you a $100.00 restoration fee to reinstate your driving privilege.

You can either call the court or log onto New Jersey Courts Online.

Please visit for information or contact the court directly on how to resolve matters online without having to appear in court on payable tickets. You may submit a request through the Online Municipal Resolution System to, plead guilty or not guilty to the offense or to submit a request for a lesser charge to the Municipal Prosecutor.