New Jersey's Direct Install Program for Owners of Commercial Property

Ocean Township has made an important commitment to help solve climate change and address our ongoing energy crisis. In partnership with the NJ Government and Sustainable Jersey, we have created the "Green Ocean Township" campaign. To coincide with this campaign, the Ocean Township Council has adopted an ambitious Energy Reduction Plan for our community, which has the goal of lowering emissions 80% by 2050. Accordingly, we have pledged to provide everyone in town with hands-on assistance to help cut energy bills, create a cleaner, healthier community, and protect our planet for future generations. If Ocean Township reaches its energy reduction goals, our community's efforts will become a model for future national energy programs.

Among other actions, a primary focus of the campaign is New Jersey's Direct Install program. The program was created specifically to help improve the energy efficiency of small to medium-sized buildings. As a building owner, you qualify for a FREE energy assessment and recommendations for energy saving upgrades. The program will pay for 70% of the upgrade costs, dramatically expediting your payback. In addition, New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) will be able to finance the remaining 30% portion at 0% interest over 3 years. Below is the contact information for our local Direct Install contractor. For more information about the NJ Direct Install Program, please visit:

Who Is Eligible?

Existing small to mid-sized commercial and industrial facilities with an average peak electric demand that did not exceed 200 kW in any of the preceding 12 months are eligible to participate in Direct Install. Applicants will submit the last 12 months of electric utility bills indicating that they are below the demand threshold and have occupied the building during that time. Buildings must be located in New Jersey and served by one of the state’s public, regulated electric or natural gas utility companies such as JCP&L or New Jersey Resource (NJNG).

What Equipment is Covered by the Program?


Heating, Cooling & Ventilation (HVAC)



Natural Gas

Variable Frequency Drives

How Long Does it Take?

Typically, the installations are completed within 90 days of your initial energy assessment!

How Much Does it Cost?

The energy assessment is FREE.

The program covers 70% of the upgrade cost (you pay 30%).

In addition, New Jersey Natural Gas (NJNG) will be able to finance the remaining 30% portion at 0% interest over 3 years.

Is There a Contract or Obligation?

NO! There is no obligation to participate. If you decide to move forward with the program, you will pay 30% of the total upgrade costs.

Who Do I Contact to Sign Up for the Program?

You can contact the designated local direct-install contractor:

Hutchinson Mechanical Services

Pete Hatton

(856) 429-5828 x259

Read more here